Hello, In this post we will learn more about Artificial Intelligence.
Human beings have natural intelligence. We start learning from the time we are born and based upon our years of experience, we can think, analyse and then solve the problems.
When a machine builds the ability to perform cognitive functions such as perceiving, learning, reasoning and solve problems similar to humans, then it is called as artificial intelligence.
Some examples of Artificial Intelligence are Sophie the humanoid, Alexa, Siri, Recommendation algorithms in Netflix, Amazon and Self driven cars such as Tesla etc.
EXAMPLES OF AI
History of AI
Even before word AI Was coined, in 1950 Alan Turing developed the “Turing Test” which determines whether a machine can think like human.
In 1956 John McCarthy coined the term Artificial Intelligence. First running AI program is demonstrated at Carnegie Mellon University.
In 1965 Joseph Weizenbaum at MIT built ELIZA, an interactive problem that carries on a dialogue in English like chatbots.
In 1969, scientists at Stanford Research Institute Developed Shakey, a robot, equipped with locomotion, perception, and problem solving.
In 1979 the first computer-controlled autonomous vehicle, Stanford Cart, was built.
In 1980s and 1990s there has been major advancement in all areas of AI leading to The Deep Blue Chess Program beating the then world chess champion, Garry Kasparov in 1997.
In 2002 iRobot launched Roomba vacuum cleaner which used AI to avoid obstacles.
In 2011 Apple introduced Personal Assistant Siri and in 2014 Amazon launched Alexa.
In 2015 Tesla introduced Autodrive feature.
In 2016 AlphaGo beats Go champion. In 2016 Hanson Robotics introduced Sophia the first AI based humanoid robot which is the first robot to be granted citizenship of Saudi Arabia in 2017.
HISTORY OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Categories of AI
Artificial Intelligence is divided into three different categories based upon capacity of intelligent program.
- First is Narrow or Weak AI. An artificial intelligence is said to be narrow when the machine can perform a specific task better than a human. It is specialized in one area but is not general purpose intelligence. For e.g. The current research of AI is here now and all examples shared earlier like Tesla, Siri and Alexa are part of Narrow AI.
- Next is General or Strong AI. An artificial intelligence reaches the general state when it can perform any intellectual task with the same accuracy level as a human world
- The future is building Super AI: Artificial Super Intelligence (ASI) will surpass human intelligence in all aspects — from creativity, to general wisdom, to problem-solving. AI is strong when it is smarter than the best human brains in practically every field. This is considered as ultimate power of AI.
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE CATEGORIES
Branches of AI
We will need development in broad set of branches to achieve super intelligence.
- First is Robotics which is designing and constructing robots.
- The robots need to have Vision. Which is some kind of machine vision through which we can achieve image recognition.
- It also needs Speech capability to convert text to speech and speech to text.
- It also needs Natural Language Processing or NLP, capabilities, which means it should have linguistic capability which is able translate languages such as English. Then it should be able to classify and construct meaning out of it, means think and understand. Next it should extract meaningful information out of it and react accordingly. This is Natural language Processing.
- Now AI machines also need to have Machine Learning Capability which can be a mix of Supervised, Unsupervised and Deep Learning.
BRANCHES OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Areas of application of AI:
AI has a broad application some of them are
In the field of e-commerce, companies like Amazon are already using AI to build personalized relationships with customers. They use AI to show recommendations on which products to buy based upon user data. They use natural language processing to boost search relevance and product awareness for businesses.
- Social media
In the field of social media it is being used to personalize the experience for users. Facebook and Twitter use AI to handle SPAM and Hate abuse. Facebook is able to build advanced Face recognition with 85% accuracy.
- Heath care
In the field of Heath care they can help us to make more accurate diagnostics and treatment. E.g. Path AI. Similarly another product Atomwise is using AI and deep learning to facilitate drug discovery.
In the field of Finance, we have robo-advisor, an automated portfolio manager. Betterment is an another automated financial investing platform that uses advanced algorithms for market forecasting and portfolio management
In travel and Transportation, Google Maps uses AI to make commuting easier. Chatbots are providing human like interaction for faster response times.
APPLICATION OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Advantages and Disadvantages of AI
So to sum it up, Artificial Intelligence is trying to revolutionize the world. We are still at early stages but the journey over next few years is going to be very exciting.